Since I posted about our remodeling of the upstairs extra bedroom and our remodeling of the downstairs extra bedroom, I thought I should share our remodeling of the master bedroom.
This took us a while to complete. Since starting the project over a year ago, my mother had heart surgery and an aunt broke a leg and had two months of recuperation. Seemed we spent a lot of time at hospitals. Plus, we moved the aunt and the uncle to an assisted living center with a lot of things to take care of at their house. We also spent all our free time last summer training for our hike across the Grand Canyon which was worth it! We just lived in the downstairs extra bedroom with piles of furniture and boxes in the family room and slowly kept working toward our goal. Now, it is done!!! We are going to move our furniture back in this coming Saturday.
This project included removing a chimney that went through the room from a fireplace in the family room below--it will be removed completely when we do that room; removing makeshift closets someone put around the chimney; patching the ceiling, floor and walls in that area after removing everything; re-configuring a closet that is over a stairway (meaning it had a sloped floor) so that we have shelves behind the doors and a cabinet behind the closet with access from the side; replacing the hanging rod and shelves in the main closet, installing crown moulding; having new doors installed; sanding everything so it could be painted or stained as was appropriate and making access to the attic larger again like it was before someone stuck a chimney over part of the opening. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Anyway, it is done!!!
Here are before and after photos.
The wall of closets. There was a chimney in between the two left closets. The right closet was very deep and you had to step up and then crawl into it to do anything in there. It is over a stairway.
This is the tiny access to the attic in the back of a closet beside the chimney.
Chimney, and two closets gone. Larger attic access under the quilt hanging rod. Cabinet in the corner behind the closet. Mirror on the door to hallway.
The many shelves in the redesigned closet.
If you think the color looks familiar, it is because we have painted all the bedrooms the same color. It is just us in the house and this way linens should be interchangeable!
Next post will be about gardening again.
This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/